Close to 150 people from across the county gathered last night (4 April) to celebrate apprenticeship success at this year’s Oxfordshire Apprenticeship Awards.
The event – now in its third year – was held at Jurys Inn Oxford and saw apprentices, businesses and education providers from right across the county come together to celebrate apprenticeships.
The evening saw winners announced from 10 categories and recognised young people and businesses – working across multiple sectors – all of whom demonstrated big success and dedication to the qualification.
Nairne Barker – from Oxfordshire County Council – and Shaun Morton, representing Nielsen, jointly-claimed the overall ‘Oxfordshire Apprentice of the Year’ title.
Currently, there are around 300 types of apprenticeships available across Oxfordshire, covering more than 1,500 job roles in the county.
This year’s event – organised by the Oxfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership (OxLEP) – was sponsored by UKAEA.
Nigel Tipple – Chief Executive of OxLEP – said: “Oxfordshire businesses are clearly committed to apprenticeships, seeing them as a positive way of developing highly-trained workforces of the future.
“Discovering young talent through apprenticeship schemes can help organisations to ‘stay ahead’ of competitors and – in-turn – support young people to gain great qualifications too.”
Winners and finalists on the night were as follows:
Intermediate Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by Darke & Taylor:
- WINNER: Josephine Allen – Business Admin Apprentice, Oxford Learning Institute
- Robin Morrisen – Business Admin Apprentice, Oxfordshire County Council
- Tom Pritchard-Pitts – Shepherd Apprentice, Blenheim Palace
Advanced Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by Clarkson Evans:
- WINNER: Nairne Barker – Business Admin Apprentice, Oxfordshire County Council
- Tristan Canfer – Electronic Engineering Apprentice, STFC
- Hafsah Rana – Business Admin Apprentice, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Higher Apprentice of the Year – sponsored by High Spec Composites:
- WINNER: Shaun Morton – Chartered Manager Degree Apprentice, Nielsen
- Leona Weston – PR and Communications Apprentice, OxLEP
- Emma Hancock – Digital and Technology Solutions Profession Degree Apprenticeship, STFC
Special Recognition Award – sponsored by Blenheim Palace:
- WINNER: Frederika Kaja – Data Analyst Apprentice, Oxfordshire County Council
- Imogen Hill – Beauty Therapy Apprentice, The Skincare Clinic
- Libby Orum – Hairdressing Apprentice, Popham Hairdressing
Shining Star Award – sponsored by Integration Technology:
- WINNER: Adam Barrett – Technical Highways Engineer, Oxfordshire County Council
- Emily Joyce – Administrative Apprentice Assistant, University of Oxford
- Mahrya Zulfaqar – Nursing Associate Trainee, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Apprenticeship Employer Award (less than 50 employees) – sponsored by Popham Hairdressing:
- WINNER: The Burnside Partnership
- Assure UK
- Gareth Clark Hair For Men Ltd
Apprenticeship Employer Award (more than 50 employees) – sponsored by Barclays:
- WINNER: Oxfordshire County Council
- Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
School Award – sponsored by The Careers & Enterprise Company:
- WINNER: North Oxfordshire Academy
- John Mason School
- Wood Green School
Apprenticeship Ambassador Award – sponsored by OxLEP:
- WINNER: Jordan Morris – Support Assistant, Oxford University Print Studio
Oxfordshire Apprentice of the Year Award – sponsored by headline sponsors UKAEA:
- JOINT-WINNERS: Nairne Barker – Business Admin Apprentice, Oxfordshire County Council and Shaun Morton – Chartered Manager Degree Apprentice, Nielsen