Oxfordshire Energy Strategy
You are here
- Oxfordshire Energy Strategy
The UK Industrial Strategy identifies Clean Growth as one of its four Grand Challenges. The Government is committed to maximising the advantages for UK industry from the global shift to clean growth, i.e. the move away from using fossil fuels.
This commitment is further articulated in the Clean Growth Strategy which sets out plans to reduce carbon emissions and at the same time increase productivity, create good jobs, boost earning power and help protest the climate and environment upon which we all depend.
The Oxfordshire Energy Strategy is fully-aligned to both the UK Industrial Strategy and the Clean Growth Strategy. It will feed into our emerging Local Industrial Strategy, and help inform Oxfordshire’s growth ambitions up to 2031 – as outlined in the Oxfordshire Housing and Growth Deal.
Our vision for the Energy Strategy is:
For Oxfordshire to be at the forefront of energy innovation to foster clean growth
Our objectives are to:
- Secure a smart, modern, clean energy infrastructure – including increased electricity grid capacity – which supports our planned housing, industrial and commercial growth, and changing energy requirement
- Lead nationally and internationally to reduce countywide emissions by 50% compared with 2008 levels by 2030 and set a pathway to achieve zero carbon growth by 2050. We will realise the economic benefits of this low carbon transition by supporting:
- Ambitious and innovative clean generation projects across the county, both in urban and rural areas, and in growth locations
- Projects that reduce energy demand and increase energy efficiency for domestic, industrial, commercial buildings and transport energy
- Enhance energy networking and partnership working to date to focus on the low carbon energy challenges and funding arising from the Industrial Strategy and Clean Growth Strategy
These objectives form the backbone of the strategy and will create a framework for specific investment priorities which, in turn, will inform a Delivery Plan for the Energy Strategy.